Sunday, January 28, 2007

Blog:2 www.WhatWhereWhyWhenWho.?



Who, what, why, when, and where? All essential questions to determine the cultural context of a piece or work or in this case a web site. I will do my very best to provide and answer to each of the questions to determine the cultural context of my chosen site ask.com. In one of my comments written by another student on my first blog, someone mentioned how a search engine is a hard site to work with because it doesn’t give you much. They are right, if you go to the site ask.com you can see that it is very plain with not much on there. Not many images, not many words but even so it has an amazing plethora of resources and information and is what is important for our technology driven age. Each search engine is different Google, Yahoo, MSN, and others some have so much else going on when you go to their initial site, but my focus was just the search engine so ask was a great specific example although this applies to a larger context. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Who? Who uses this site? Who creates this site? We do, we do, we do. Everyone in this world, from businesses using the site for advertisement or students for their projects or the juvenile youngster looking for addicting games to play. We all use this site because it provides virtually anything anyone needs it finds it for you. So I can say it’s nearly impossible to narrow that answer to one because its billions.
What? What is this? It’s easy access to the world wide web, in an organized manner. Technically the world wide web is the internet not ask jeeves, but it sure helps us acquire what we need on the internet. The internet is a huge place and any help we can get to make it easier most of us will take, so it’s a helper to us. Why? Why goes along with the same ideas as what, as I just explained we need help because technology is increasing immensely year by year so we need little assistants to help us manage those technologies sometimes, and a search engine will help us start that.
When? The twentieth first century is when a.k.a “age of technology“. Yea, I bet that is getting repetitive, but what is our whole reason for blogging instead of writing essays and turning them on? Because now is the time that computers and the web is becoming our right hand. It’s no longer the new thing and few people are in awe of the idea of the internet anymore. When? Everyday I use this resource to my advantage because seems that using the internet is a daily task and as mentioned earlier I don’t know where everything is on this thing, so daily I ask my assistant.
Where? The world wide web. Where does ask.com get us? Wherever we want, whatever site we need. My case, it’s found on my homepage as I sign on everyday, that’s where it awaits. It’s always there for everyone you just have to utilize it and I highly recommend asking for that help when needed
.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was drawn to your blog because of the pictures. I can't seem to figure out how to incorperate them in my blog. Oh well. I would have to say that I would be totaly lost in this world if it wasn't for www.yahoo.com and www.google.com. When I get online I automatically go to one of these sites.

Brady Tucker said...

While everyone knows and uses sites like google, not many stop to think why. Your post does a really good job of putting these types of sites into context. I enjoyed your writing, and it was structured very well. In addition to the content, your presentation was pleasing as well. The use of images of these sites was great, and something as simple as colored text on a black background can go a long way. great use of information coupled with visual aids.