Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Blog:1 Focus on Focal Points and Such.

My home page is Ask.com. It is a general page to have as my home page, but I use this page very frequently. I think that it is a great site and very helpful. As I write this blog you can view the page as well to get a visual of my examples just click here.
The focal point of this site is the area right in the center of the page where you can place your search in. I believe this is the focal point and not their display of their name which many would assume. It is already set up for you to start typing whatever you need to enter in; there is no need to get back on the mouse and click there to let the site know you are ready to search. It provides it immediately and is a fast way to get going. This will enable the user to be focused on using the site in a quicker way.
Ask.com’s would fall under the genre of search engines with the convention of receiving information in an amazingly short time. Instead of spending hours in the library using their search engines, whether, that be their catalog or librarian, then proceeding to sit down and find what page the exact information you want is on, you can easily type in specifically what you want and Ask.com will do it for you. Other conventions of this site are the "search tools" on the right including specified search categories i.e. images, dictionary, encylopedia, weather, ask for kids, and even blogs and feeds. This is a widely accepted and convenient device used on the internet today. It is easily accessible and not hard to learn how it works, this helps the site remain a successful search engine.
Now, although this seems great, it can be too good to be true sometimes. It altars the conventions in some ways. Yes, you may search a certain subject and hundreds of sites come up with options of what you need, unfortunately since the internet is so accessible to everyone else as well and not as secure, not every tad bit of information found is necessarily true. I am not saying because it is fast it’s not true, I am saying it might be a little less reliable then a book with your subject’s information found in a library or bookstore. People can make the decision to take more time for a more accurate source or sometimes take more of a chance with an online search engine. That chance could very well turn out in their favor, much of the information is true, but just as much of it is false.
As subtly mentioned before, the online medium and its blogging differs from print/paper based writing. A book is a published piece of work that was approved by professional firms with publishers and editors, whereas, a site about panda bears in China could well be written by a five year old as it could by a professional veterinarian. Almost anyone can put anything on the world wide web from across seas, you have to be sure of what you are distinguishing as fact and fiction.

8 comments:

nathanbos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nathanbos said...

The blog is very nicely written. I didn’t think you could write a full page on a search engine, there just doesn’t seem to be enough on the site to comment about. You did very well in making the site work for the topic, though. Your point about the search bar being the focal point is convincing. This sentence seemed confusing to me: “Ask.com’s would fall under the genre of search engines with the convention of receiving research in an amazingly short time.” I don’t think the websites possessive of anything, maybe the genre but I think it should be worded differently if that’s the case.

JAcosta said...

Amanda, I thought your post was written very well. The flow of your writing style is quite smooth, and is very easy to understand. Do you only use ask.com for looking up information on the internet or do you also use other search engines? I normally and recommend using google.com or msn.com to look up information on the internet. There are so many different search engines that one has access to, which I believe one should use one that they feel comfortable using. Anyway, I just wanted to complement you on your writing.

Fu said...

By looking at the homepage of Ask.com I don't think that anyone can written a whole page about it. Its focal point is direct pretty much like that of the Google's. I personally have used a lot of search engines, but I have found that google seems to be easier than most of the other ones. But after reading your blog, I would definitely spend some more time browsing through what ask.com has to offer. I like your point about the how some of the linked site that post false information, in today's society I think it is not only important for us to check the content but the origin of the content as well. Nicely done.

Jonathan Tran said...

ask.com isn't a site I've ever heard of but now I know all I need to know about it thanks to your post. I think the content that you put in the the blog post was very filling and addressed any significant questions anyone would have about ask.com.
One thing I would like to comment on is how many of your sentences start with I and It. A few sentence structures could add a little more edge to your paper.
Other than that excellent post and how it continues.

Nga Le said...

Hey Amanda, your blog is very interesting. I myself use ask.com sometimes and also find it very helpful. It can basically answer any question you have. I find it very helpful with school research also. Another search engine I use often is google.com, I find that most of their search results are very similar. As you know google.com is expanding very rapidly, I hope it doesn't put ask.com out of buisness. Your writing skill as a whole is smoothly written and easy to understand. It's amazing you can type a 500 word blog on such a simple site. Good Job! Although I do think you could have made your introduction more interesting to better capture and hold your readers attention. Otherwise, it was nicely written!

jaki.my said...

Hey Amanda I read your stuff on Ask. com. I made mine on a search engine too - isn't it funny on how much you can actually talk about in regards to that topic? Anyhow, I thought it was interesting that you touched on the authenticity of what you can find on the web. As a student that is something, I have to really look into, especially when we have to use MLA format and such. Although, I also wrote on a search engine to I never searched through Ask.com and I’m glad you wrote on it because I might consider using it now. Nice writing.

Aaron Deng said...

amanda,first i want to tell you that it is you have a very good writing on your post and your writing style is quite smooth, which it is very understand and clear. you have clearly introduce the " ask.com". i think it is vey helpful, but i think you need to do a little more on your detail and you need to understand the convention well. to told more about that. that will be a good case.