Saturday, March 31, 2007

Blog12: Don't Judge a Book by its Cover: Reflection


I think that my picture from my previous post is such a cool picture, can you imagine if our book covers where actually like this? Like this picture to the side, another fight scene between two men. That’s the typical kind of cover we see, imagine if it was designed the same way as my original picture, wouldn’t it be so much more intense? If all covers were three dimensional it would turn our heads a little more. You wouldn’t even have to turn the book around to read the summary of the book because there would be so much being told in the cover. This picture alone tells a lot. Something was done wrong to upset them. I have a feeling that the man who was punched was taken by surprised by the hit. It is like the white suite man out found out his once friend committed adultery with his wife and went to confront him, before saying a word that he knew anything he threw his punch first. There is so much emotion in this picture and it is only a book cover. I makes me want to flip through each red lined page to see why these men are in a fight. It makes me have so many questions like who are they, why are they mad, did they other man fight back? The hands in this picture tell a majority of how he is feeling. If there were only the hands for me to analyze from I could. I could tell you that the person who belongs to the hands is in dire pain. I feel that this is a great piece of art because I have never seen anything like it before and it just attracts my attention so much, it made me see more art from this artist, Thomas Allen. I really do like it a lot.

3 comments:

Molly Bloom said...

I think it is interesting that the artist is focused on making books come alive. I think his point might be that, if your imagination is vivid enough you can turn two dimension into three dimension. He picks very emotional and dramatic scenes to illustrate. He obviously likes the fifties classic mystery books. I have never read them, but I know the movies along the same lines are extremely dramatic.

Analisa said...

I think your idea is really great, and I completely agree with you about how much more exciting it would be if the cover was 3-D. It reminds me of Harry Potter, and how the pictures move, that likewise, would be great. It would catch my attention much more quickly, but if all books were like that, then it probably wouldn’t make any more of a difference as the current covers do.

RachelKrier said...

I think the direction you decided to take this for your reflection is very interesting. It is very cliche to say, "don't judge a book by its cover", however I think I do it all the time. The more attractive the cover, the more appealing the book. I think it would be amazing if they were like the one in your photograph as it would indeed make the book come alive before you even opened the cover.